Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Thursday 3 November 2022

Neil Bowmer (M55) - 14 May 2022

 Neil Bowmer M55

With the cancellation of all races during the Covid pandemic, I needed something to motivate myself to stay fit so I started training for my Bob Graham attempt. Being 54 years old, I thought this had passed me by, so it was somewhat of a surprise when I successfully completed it on June 19th 2021. Three weeks later I tagged along with my partner Ros and her friend Jess and completed the Frog Graham, definitely too close to my BGR but I was successfully dragged to the end. So with a Bob and a Frog under my belt, it seemed a natural decision to attempt to add the Joss Naylor Challenge in to make up the triad. As I was turning 55 in May 2022, which offered me a realistic time of 15 hours, I realised that I could complete all three within 12 months, if I could get round of course…..

At 5 am on the 14th May (two days after my 55th birthday), I set off from Pooley Bridge with Jess Young (my fellow Frog companion) and Phil Hodgson as my support runners. It was a perfect still dawn and with Phil knowing Leg 1 well, we made good time to Kirkstone Pass, arriving 16 minutes ahead of schedule, catching the breakfast crew by surprise. Mandy Goth still managed to provide a bacon butty and a cup of tea in perfect time to send me on my way. 




 Leg 2 was supported by Dave Garner and Simon Hewitt. The weather deteriorated slightly, with cloud on the summits but as I knew this leg well myself, we continued to gain time to Dunmail Raise, arriving 34 minutes ahead of schedule. I took a short break for hot cross buns and a cup of tea, then set off up Steel Fell with my new crew of Ian Oldham, Mike Keavney and Tim Grimwood, all of whom had supported me on my BGR. Dave also continued on with me, veering off at Rossett Pike to get his lift. Despite being ahead of schedule I wanted to keep pushing on as I knew the day was going to warm up and I wanted time in hand in case things got difficult later. We moved comfortably across the hills but were pleased to meet up with Phil Hodgson on Great End so that he could guide us down the perfect line. It was quite an achievement for Phil to get to us on time as he had to get from Dunmail and up to Great End with us being nearly an hour ahead at this point!





Mandy, Ros and Simon had also legged it up from Wasdale Head just in time to meet us, providing food and drink, including an unexpected treat of a cold bottle of coke. Simon replaced Michael, who was feeling the heat, but Ian and Tim were keen to continue and do a second leg. A quick 5 minute break and off we went for the slog up Great Gable in the afternoon heat. Caroline Graham, Ian’s partner joined us before Kirk Fell and added some energy to the group, who were starting to flag. The pull up Pillar took its toll on Ian, who had been looking after me so well that I think he had neglected his own fuelling, so the decision was made for him and Caroline to leave us and we would carry on as a three. Over Haycock and up Seatallan we were really starting to tire, not surprising really as Tim and Simon had both completed the Fellsman the previous weekend. So it was a very pleasant surprise to see Mandy waiting for us on the summit of Seatallan so that we could turn off our brains and just be led over the final hill and down to the finish at Greendale Bridge.



I knew that sadly there was no possibility of Joss being at the finish, but virtually my whole crew were waiting to cheer me in. I completed the crossing in 13.49, faster than I had expected. My day had been everything that Joss said it should be; a great day out with friends in the hills. I am told there was a fantastic evening of celebration at the Achille Ratti Hut, but unfortunately I managed to sleep through most of it! Once again I am indebted to my friends from Swaledale Runners and Todmorden Harriers for helping me to complete my Bob, Frog and Joss!





No comments:

Post a Comment