Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Wednesday 23 November 2022

Helen Elmore (W50) - 16 July 2022

 



I think a lot of fell runners have a natural inclination for short and fast or long adventures, but I have never quite been able to make my mind up which I like the best! I had completed a Bob Graham back in 2009 and then mainly did short fell races whilst my children were small. As they got more independent, I got drawn back into the mountain challenges. I did a Paddy Buckley in 2019, a Ramsay round in 2021. I turned 50 in 2022 and completing a Joss Naylor was going to be the icing on the cake.

I had supported Nicky Spinks and Keith Holmes on a sub 12hr Joss and knew that wasn’t on the cards for me. I also really wanted to enjoy this one. Setting off on a13hr schedule seemed about right to give a good buffer for the 14hrs allowed for 50-year women



Leg 1 – Kev Saville and Simon Rippon

This leg is always fast and furious. I had a schedule that Nicky Spinks had tweaked for a friend but even so its hard work to keep on the splits. Its even harder for supporters with full rucsacs on cold legs at 4.30 in the morning. Despite having carefully recced the start the week before, in my excitement to get going, we dropped Simon and then I overshot Arthur Pike and had to cut across the rough to bag the summit. Time to concentrate! The leg went well otherwise with Simon soon catching up after Kidsty Pike and leading us in to Dunmail a couple of minutes up.

Leg 2- Keith Holmes and Steve Wathall, both v65. The leg went perfectly. If I can run like these guys in my 60s , I will be a happy woman. Despite Keith’s protestations on what’s app the week before he was too slow he shot up Red Screes at a storming pace. Whilst Steve kept me well fed and watered.

Leg 3- Nicky Spinks and Tom Saville.

Bit of a dream team support wise. No need to introduce Nicky. Tom is Kev’s son. My other leg 3 support had been hit with COVID-19 so I asked Kev mid-week what is your lad doing at the weekend. Well he is supporting an 18 hrs BG on Sunday so a bit of warm up on Saturday should be ok. Tom has represented England, placed in champs races (is very nearly the holder of the mid-winter BG record, another story there) done an unsupported Ramsay etc etc.. so was definitely a bit of a handy last minute super sub. Despite all the amazing support I was starting to feel that I had been running for quite a long time. I had psyched myself up for Steel fell and Bowfell but had sort of forgotten what a horrid drag High raise is. Its was hot, but the ground was still boggy, and it started to feel a bit of a trudge. But then Nicky showed me a great line on Rosset Pike and Bowfell went swimmingly with Tom handing my 3 Percy pigs every 5 minutes or so. Why is other people’s food so much better?

My good friend Lewis joined us at Esk Hause. Lewis has been one of main training partners over the years, whether it is joining me on before work training runs, reccing or just generally persuading me what is possible. Unfortunately, due to health issues Lewis wasn’t able to do a full leg but he made up for this in helping with maps, schedules, planning car shuffles etc. Thanks mate it was great to have you along.

Leg 4

I didn’t have anyone coming in for leg 4, so instantly made up a bit of time there by not stopping. The heat started to kick in on Gable, but again Tom came to the rescue with the Percy Pigs. It wasn’t a lot of fun, but it was soon done.

We said goodbye to Lewis and Tom after Kirk fell and it was just Nicky, me and the dogs on the most beautiful Lakeland day. We have done so many recce and training runs together over the years and I decided I was just going to enjoy this last section. I was hovering around 13hrs but didn’t feel like I could push much harder and my feet were feeling pretty sore on the downhills. I decided not ask about splits and just run. Simon and Kev bought in more water at Pillar and Steve, Nicky’s husband had left a stash before Haycock. Much appreciated as getting enough water for yourself and supporters can be a real issue on a hot day on this section.





Before I knew it I was on the last peak with the just the lovely run into Greendale to go. I was wondering if Joss was going to there with his recent ill health. It was such a lovely surprise to see him, as I touched the bridge in a time of 13.04. I then gabbled my thanks to him to have created such a great route and then left him to have some farmer chat with Nicky’s Steve.






The best thing about the Joss compared to a 24 hr round? Plenty of time for a shower and a wander over to the pub for a proper celebration with good friends.





No comments:

Post a Comment