Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Thursday 17 November 2022

Jackie Scarfe (W60) - 14 July 2022

 


Leg 1 Phil Scarf [CVFR] Leg 2 Kate Ayres [Ambleside] Leg 3 Steve Milner [Wharfedale] Leg 4 Phil Scarf [CVFR] Road support Annie Milner [Wharfedale]



Having had my 60th birthday only 4 days before, I set out at 4.37am on a luxurious 17.30 hour schedule, on Weds 14thJuly 2022. The weather was set to be warm, but with some sunshine and a few showers. Leg 1 with my husband Phil went to according to plan, although we took a less than perfect route down to the Kirkstone Inn. We’d had the mountains to ourselves, plus a few meadow pipits and wheatears. Leg 2 with Kate Ayres, from Ambleside, went up a notch. We kept a good pace, beating all the scheduled times by a few minutes. It was great to have someone who knew the area well. I hadn’t done any recent recees, as I’m conscious of the environmental impact of driving long distances [I live near Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire] but I have supported several other runners on their attempts in the past. I carried all my own kit + food on the day. Road support by Annie -nut bomb- Milner was first class and I was please she managed an hours swim in Rydal Water while I was on Leg 2. Leg 3 with Steve Milner was steady with great 360 degree views. We missed the best BG route up to Bowfell, cut 10 mins off the 30 min schedule running across to Esk Pike just by cunningly cutting thought the boulders. We messed up the Great End descent – realised we were halfway down and facing Lingmell … so we cut down to the corridor route to Sty Head and lost about 20 mins. We’d intended to meet Phil at Great End, as he knew the route, but were too early and missed him. Panic ensued, as he was meant to do Leg 4 with me, but he appeared just in time. Annie Milner’ Tea and sandwiches at Sty Head while sat on a blanket were delicious! Leg 4 -Phil managed to keep up with me on the hills this time. I’m not a great descender at the best of times and by now my knees were suffering, so he had to wait for me! [NB I used poles] Luckily he did most of the nav , although we are both orienteers and we pushed on up some mighty ascents to finally finish in the light at 9.27pm, with Annie + Steve whooping and clapping me in to Greendale. It was a minimalist attempt, with 1 car, 5 amazing people, sunshine + showers and lots of fun.  






No comments:

Post a Comment