Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Thursday 10 November 2022

Geoff Davis (M65R) - 12 June 2022

 Geoff Davis MV65 (Elvet Striders/Northumberland Fell Runners)

JNLC Sunday 12th June 2022.

(No 137 – previous crossings 17.06.12 & 02.09.17)

This would be my third crossing of the JNLC and was to take place on my 65th birthday.



The forecast was for 40mph gusts on the tops with scattered showers throughout the day. In Pooley at 5am it was fairly calm but cloudy, although the south westerly wind was soon in our faces as we climbed onto the open fell. The cloud started to break through and my spirits lifted as we began to make up time across the grassy tops. Apart from my small band of pacers we saw no one else on the fells across this leg. We did have the company of red deer though which were a very welcome sight. Feeling fresh and fit this leg troubled me very little and we arrived at Kirkstone thirty minutes ahead of the 17 hour schedule I was using.

The second leg was a joy as the long climbs were easily accomplished in what was a brisk wind but under a dry, bright sky. My three female pacers were happy and chatty and time passed quickly although Dawn took a tumble coming off Fairfield and bruised her arm, although she never let on to me until the following day. The fells were still quiet with just one or two walkers encountered across Fairfield and Seat Sandal. I still felt it was early days and we received a warning of things to come with a brief, heavy shower on the descent to Dunmail where we arrived 51 minutes ahead of schedule.



It was great to see so many supporters at Dunmail but I resisted the temptation to linger for more than the allotted 10 minutes and was soon toiling up the steep slope of Steel Fell. This was accomplished fairly easily but I started to suffer on the long trudge across to High Raise. The steep, wet pathless section was hard, as was the final less steep but boggy rise to the summit and my spirits were at a low point. They picked up on the descent towards Sticks Pass and I felt fine on the climb to Rossett Pike. It was still windy and we could see the dark clag moving towards us from the Coniston fells. The rising traverse up Bow Fell felt steep but was over fairly quickly. As we reached its top the clag descended and the rain began to fall. If this crossing was a tale of two halves then the whistle had just blown for the start of the second half.

From now on the wind was joined by thick mist, heavy prolonged showers and wet rock underfoot. Along with growing fatigue these started to slow my progress and a particularly heavy downpour after Esk Pike saw me stop to don full waterproofs. Things were particularly desperate on Great End but we decided to still take the rocky descent down to Sty Head, albeit very carefully, arriving an hour and five minutes ahead of schedule.



Again I had a posse of supporters here all clad in full waterproofs seeking what little shelter there was around the stretcher box. My wife Susan opened up an emergency shelter and I spent the next 16 minutes beneath it trying to eat and drink what I could. Donning a third jacket I set off up Gable with my new team of pacers. The next three climbs were very tough but the descents over wet slippery rocks on tired legs and sore knees were particularly challenging. Nonetheless, they were all accomplished and I started to count down the remaining fells as the end approached. Haycock was climbed without stopping and we chose to omit the scree descent opting for a grassy path instead. With my head down climbing Seatallan, on Joss’ advice, and only Middle Fell remained. After the quickest descent I could manage on shredded legs we arrive at Greendale Bridge. All done in 15 hours 47 minutes. An incredibly tough day, which I wouldn’t have missed for the world. Standing on the bridge I felt incredibly grateful to all those who had helped me and just a little bit proud of myself.   



No comments:

Post a Comment