Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Tuesday 14 November 2023

Nick Dybeck (M60) - 22 May 2023

 A family day out

 The story of my attempt at the Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge starts way back in the 1990’s when, in my late 30’s, I took up running. I was lucky enough to have moorland on my doorstep and I very quickly discovered fell running, the Fell Runners Association, and heard about a remarkable bloke called Joss Naylor. Just a few years earlier, Joss had set up a challenge for the over 50’s which was in a part of the world I loved, and ending near Ennerdale where I’d once lived. I like a challenge and it was at least 14 years before I could have a go, so there was plenty of time for training and dreaming. That was it, I was inspired. One day I promised myself, I’ll do the Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge......

There are three essentials for a successful attempt in my view; Inspiration, Commitment, Training/Planning. So, I’d ticked the first box. Thanks, Joss, the world needs people like you to do remarkable things to inspire the rest of us.

The second was to prove a bit harder. I realised, after some recces and training at age 55 and 60, that the commitment required to stand on Pooley Bridge at 5am with even half a chance of completing, is huge. The furthest I’d ever run on the fells was about 25km, and the longest I’d ever spent on the hills was about 14hrs. So 66km, 4900m and 18hours was daunting. It meant that I needed to commit to a 9-month training schedule, learn about nutrition, experiment with food that’d stay down, block out days and weeks in the diary for races and recces, find comfortable and lightweight kit, constantly worry about diet and falling ill, and become totally absorbed in the challenge.

In mid-2022, having retired and with bit more time to train, but well into the 60-65 category, I decided it was now or never. I made the commitment.......and then realised I’d need a support team to commit too! Not being part of a club, and preferring solitary running and the emptiness of wild open country, I wanted to make the attempt with a small close-knit group of family and friends, so the hard part was persuading them to commit to my selfish endeavour. Luckily, I have two daughters who like a challenge, a long suffering and supportive wife, and willing in-laws and friends. So, with their commitment the date was set: May 22nd 2023. That was the second essential nailed. Just a bit of training to do and some logistics planning.

My training schedule was deliberately flexible; gradually increase distance, ascent, and time. Mix it up a bit; some long some short some hard some easy. The build-up was gradual but relentless. I recce’d the route, some parts several times, and imprinted it in my mind. I’d settled on which energy bars, drinks, biscuits, and nibbles to take. My kit was comfortable and well worn in. By April I was living and breathing JNLC, becoming a bore, friends and family wondered if I’d ever talk about anything else! In early May, I checked the weather forecast, again and again, all looking good! When the floor at home was covered in boxes of stuff for the changeovers and instructions for the support team, it was obviously time to go. The date had been set 6 months ago and I couldn’t believe my luck. The weather was looking good, a slight breeze, thin high cloud, and not too hot. Let’s go.

The day itself, looking back, is something of a blur. But I get frequent flashbacks of great happiness. Catching the sunrise near Arthurs Pike, and the sunset from Seatallan. Bouncing along the soft bogginess of Wether Hill, sliding down the scree off Great Gable. Flying down from Stoney Cove Pike, cruising along after Haycock. Floating up Red Screes, and glad to get to the top of Pillar. Feeling the strain towards High Raise, waves of joy descending from Middle Fell. Encouraging words from Kirkstone meeters and greeters, whoops of delight at Greendale. The pleasure of being in such a magnificent landscape, on such a beautiful day with my daughters is indescribable. At the time, I had absolute clarity. Every moment, I was in it. “You haven’t got to think too far ahead” said Joss in a news article and I followed his advice. I knew it was achievable so “just keep going” was one of my mantras, as was “every little decision made (right left slower quicker) is the right one” no need to get frustrated, you’ve scheduled it so there’s plenty of time, you know you can do it.

The real heroes of the challenge, having trained so hard for it were my daughters. I couldn’t have done it without their enthusiasm, stubbornness, encouragement and determination. I’ll be eternally grateful too, to the rest of the team who made sure we were properly fed, well watered, suitably motivated, and pointed in the right direction every step of the journey. And I couldn’t have done it without the inspiration; thanks Joss.

It was a great day out with family and friends.  


Arthurs Pike

Ramspgill

Kirkstone Pass

Fairfield

Dunmail

Pillar

Seatallan

The Team - Greendale Bridge

Steeple & Ennerdale

Sunset over Ennerdale


No comments:

Post a Comment