Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Wednesday 29 November 2023

Chris Smallman (M60) - 08 July 2023

At 5am on Saturday 8th July, I met up with Alistair Hearn and Ian Hewett in the car park at Pooley Bridge for the start of my Joss Naylor Challenge. After a quick photo on Pooley Bridge itself and with sufficient light, so no need for head torches, we set off on my 17.5 hour schedule. On this first leg the weather was being very kind, warm and with a lovely breeze which meant the visibility of the summits was clear and distinctive. Underfoot was very dry so managed to gain time on the schedule and hit Kirkstone Pass 25 minutes ahead.

After an approximate 10 minute break and having an unexpected meet and greet from Rainer I headed off up Red Screes with Alistair Hearn, Ian Stephenson, Alex Kirby and Alan Bland. After summiting Red Screes we ascended Hart Crag increasing my lead by 45 minutes. This I felt was going to be very beneficial as I knew the next two legs were going to be the hardest. Again another productive leg which saw us arriving into Dunmail at 11.02, now being 50 minutes ahead of schedule and the weather was still holding for us. 

Here I took a 15-minute break, refuelled and then started the ascent up Steel Fell with two fresh new pacers in Josie Greenhalgh and Marcus Taylor. Everything was still going ahead of schedule until we hit Bowfell where I started to struggle with stomach issues and cramp. With the help of Josie giving me salt tablets and Marcus firing coke into me and both urging me on I pushed on. Near the top of Sty Head I vomited which cleared my stomach and made me feel a lot better and hit the top ready and willing to hit leg 4. Here I was met by James McLaughlin, Chris Wright and Stephanie Wilson. Stephanie had climbed up from Wasdale Head to bring extra supplies, James had climbed up from Greendale Bridge and Chris had climbed up from Honister Slate Mine.

James, Chris and myself then headed off to ascend Great Gable once on the summit we were greeted with thunder, lightning and torrential rain. I was now feeling a lot better and still making good time even though the visibility was now pretty poor, we also still managed to navigate the last summits without any errors. After descending off Middle Fell, the last summit, we ran to Greendale Bridge ahead of my scheduled time in 16 hours 18 minutes being met by Stephanie who had run back into Wasdale and Sarah Smallman, my wife. We were pretty drenched by this time but happy to have completed it.

I would just like to say a big thank you to all of my support crew but especially a big thank you to my wife as this would not have been possible without her.



No comments:

Post a Comment