Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Wednesday 22 November 2023

Anne Daykin (W65) - 01 July 2023

Leaving Pooley Bridge at 4.00am, all is quiet. Up through the caravan park no-one stirs. On the fell, around Loadpot Hill, a badger trundles across the path in front of us. I hate early starts, but this is great! Not long after this the raincoats go on, then the hat and gloves. We pause behind the wall at Thornthwaite Beacon, appreciating a brief respite from the strong wind. It’s not yet 6.30 and we’re well on our way.

Soon we’re down at Kirkstone, and I sit on a towel in Teresa’s van drinking a pint of tea while she makes me scrambled eggs. Off up Red Screes, into the weather again. The cloud is down and it’s confusing on Hart Crag, so Katy gets out the map and compass. No hanging around on Fairfield, the wind is ferocious and the cloud is still down. From Seat Sandal, Teresa sprints off to Dunmail Raise to let them know we’re coming.

Scrambled Eggs at Kirkstone (Photo-Teresa de Curtis)

Leg 3 and the wind is getting worse. Strong enough to impede walking and blow you off balance. “We won’t be running much in this” I say, at the top of Steel Fell. It is what it is, the time doesn’t matter, we just have to keep moving and we’ll get there in the end. I take the lead, though Nikki warns me when I’m veering too far to the right up High Raise. I planned to follow the grassy trod all the way below Rossett Pike and just nip up onto the summit from directly below, but I head into the rocks instead. Everything is greasy in the wet, and I paid for my lapse when my foot slipped and a boulder savaged a large area of skin from the side of my leg. I’m lucky it’s just a surface wound. After Bowfell it doesn’t feel far to Styhead, in spite of the wind. We choose the direct route off Great End and Matthew sprints ahead, but they’ve seen us coming anyway.

In the Wind on Fairfield. (Photo-Teresa de Curtis)

In the Wind on Great Gable (Photo-Nikki Hamerton)



I’ve developed a craving for Kendal Mint Cake (“I’ve got some!” pipes up Abby) and I forgot to ask for more Ribena here (“I’ve got some!” pipes Abby again). The ticklist for Leg 4 has gone AWOL, but Jean has the map marked up from her (sub 12 hour) Joss two years ago, so we don’t have to think about it. A good team! I tuck in behind Jean and we set off up Great Gable, still no let-up from the wind. At the col beyond Gable the rescue helicopter is sidling in to pick up a casualty. Rather apt, as I’ve chosen NW Air Ambulance as my charity. Over Kirk Fell and down to Black Sail, where I’d scheduled another brief stop. I know that I struggle to drink enough cold liquid, so Linda and Dave, hunkered down behind a boulder, were ready with more pints of tea.

Air Ambulance in Action, descending Great Gable (Photo-Nikki Hamerton)


Still in the Wind on Middle Fell (Photo-Abby Tighgeal)



Onwards towards Pillar, my legs feel strong but my pockets are filling up with things I’ve taken a bite of and can’t finish. Abby keeps passing me squares of Kendal Mint Cake, and we keep on going. It’s so nice to get past Steeple, off the rocks, and suddenly we’re running again, down the lovely grassy descent off Scoat Fell. Either by good luck or good judgement, we avoid all the bogs between Haycock and Seatallan (I hadn’t been able to recce a good line because it’s been so dry recently) and suddenly here we are on Middle Fell. Steady away on the final descent, same as we’d done the last 16.5 hours. Now isn’t the time to fall over, and I don’t want to overdo it and feel like a mess at the end. Lovely little group waiting on the bridge to cheer me home – what a great day out!


Coming down to Greendale Bridge (Photo-Ian Charters)


Official finishing time is 16 hours 32 minutes, which I’m quite happy with since we were running into a blustery headwind all day. I’m even happier when I’m told I’ve set a new record for females over 65


With thanks to The Running Team:

Leg 1 Ralph Baines, Mike Wallis (both Clayton Harriers)

Leg 2 Katy Thompson, Teresa de Curtis (both Clayton Harriers)

Leg 3 Nikki Hamerton, Matthew Daykin

Leg 4 Jean Brown (Clayton Harriers) Abby Tighgeal (Craven Pothole Club)


And Ground Support:

Ken Daykin, Mike Avison, Linda Gough, Dave Brown



No comments:

Post a Comment