Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Saturday 28 December 2019

John Tollitt (M55) - 15 June 19

My original plan to attempt the Joss Naylor Challenge in May had to be abandoned due to the combination of a sprained ankle and a bad back. 

The alternative date of June 15th always looked a bit touch and go but injuries recovered and pacers were found and I was ready to go with Bertie Goffe my pacer for Leg 1. Weather conditions were ideal as we set off at 05.30 and remained good throughout the day. Leg 1 passed off uneventfully with small gains being made on target times at each summit.
As I dropped down to Kirkstone Pass, I could see the white roof of our VW camper where Vicki was waiting with drinks and pasta to fuel me on my way. 


My new pacing crew of Cees, Stu and Dexter took over from Bertie, and despite thick cloud on Fairfield, saw me safely down to Dunmail Raise still ahead of schedule and in good shape. Paul and John accompanied me on leg 3 with Stu putting in a 2nd shift. The boggy drag up to High Raise seemed to go on forever but I just concentrated on keeping
moving and letting my pacers worry about route finding and pace. The weather deteriorated for a while with a brief hailstorm thrown into the mix! 


The route off Great End was a bit improvised but still saw us 30 mins ahead of schedule at Sty Head Pass. I was well looked after by Susan and Harry at the Sty Head stretcher box before setting off on my final leg in the capable hands of Roger and Geoff.
Leg 4 was a delight, the cloud had cleared, the sun was out and I was feeling confident, with time in hand. I was just trying to concentrate on not doing anything daft like turning an ankle on the tricky descents off Great Gable and Kirk Fell. We managed to find the scree chute off Haycock and after the slightly up Seatallan, it was plain sailing over Middle Fell. As Greendale Bridge came into view I can see a cluster of vehicles and bodies which I headed for.

Joss was there at the finish to greet me and provide words of support and wisdom and Vicki was there to transport me to the pub for some well earned recovery.

Many thanks to Bertie Goffe, David Armstrong, Cees Van Der Land, Stuart Scott, Paul Appleby, John Duff, Roger Sillito, Harry Ransome, Susan Davis, Kim Taylor and
Vicki Deritis for support on the day

No comments:

Post a Comment