Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Tuesday 24 December 2019

Dick Towler (M70) - 09 June 19


My friend, and fellow member of Lakeland OC, Derek Fryer, told me last autumn that he was thinking of attempting the Joss this year. Having done it myself back in 2014, in 16hrs 44mins, when I was 65, I thought it would be a good idea to repeat it with him, to celebrate my 70th year and to raise some money for the Alzheimer’s Society.

Unfortunately, my initial training was badly affected by illness, a chest infection, that lasted all of January and half of February, so, when I did start to do some serious walks with Derek, I found myself badly unfit. But I struggled on, always saying I’d decide if I was going to make a 2nd attempt after I’d done Legs 2 and 3 together, in late May.

Pooley Bridge with Iain and John

That last training walk went well, so 2 weeks later, shortly before midnight on Saturday 8th June, I found myself at Pooley Bridge, with Iain Smith Ward and John Armstrong supporting. We’d meant to start 24hrs earlier, but had postponed because of heavy rain. Derek had started at 11pm.

We made good, steady progress, though not quite as fast as 5 years earlier, until we approached Red Crag, when we walked up into the cloud and it started to rain. By High Raise it was pouring down and blowing strongly from the SW. Navigation was never that difficult, though visibility became a problem in places, for instance when descending from Thornthwaite Beacon. Fortunately, it was beginning to get light as we climbed Stoney Cove Pike. By the time we dropped down to Kirkstone, the rain had stopped, but we had lost quite a bit of time.

My original support team were unable to come on the Sunday, so Iain carried on with me on Leg 2 to Dunmail. The weather continued to improve, with glimpses of sun and blue sky and some stunning views. Fairfield was still in cloud, but Seat Sandal was clear, as were most of the hills ahead. Unfortunately, it was already obvious to me that any chance of my making a 2nd attempt in less than 18hrs had gone. I could relax, carry on and enjoy it.

For Leg 3 I had my son-in-law, Geoff Clarke, and my friend from South Ribble Orienteers, Julian Lailey. We made short work of Steel Fell and enjoyed the walk across to High Raise, in the improving weather. I was getting tired, though, and began to struggle a bit on the long downhill section from High Raise. I was also beginning to have difficulty swallowing food. At Rossett Pike, we met up with Carol McNeill, who had generously walked up from Old Dungeon Ghyll to give us tea, rice pudding and custard, before we set off up Bowfell. We decided to head back towards Esk Hause from the top of Great End, instead of carrying on straight down to Styhead. My split for that bit shows that that wasn’t a good decision.

It was cold and windy at Styhead, so we didn’t stay long. Julian, who had headed back to Old Dungeon Ghyll from Esk Hause, was replaced on Leg 4 by my son, Simon, Geoff carrying on. Many thanks to Simon Cane, who supported at Styhead. By this point, I was having real difficulty eating. I’d brought macaroni bolognaise, but couldn’t get it down. Geoff kept feeding me Jelly Babies and energy gels. Luckily, I discovered I could swallow the pasta if I added water and made it into a soup.

Middle Fell with Geoff and Simon


We made good progress over Gable and on to Kirk Fell, but I felt faint on the way off the latter and had to take great care going down the ridge. The long pull up to Pillar seemed to go on for ever. Again, I was very careful going out to Steeple. Seatallon wasn’t as bad as I remembered, and by this point I knew I was going to make it. In the end, I finished in 19hrs 49mins, which has a certain poignancy. Derek finished a bit later, after having had a power nap on Pillar.

To date I’ve raised over £1500, plus gift aid, for the Alzheimer’s Society. You can see my Just Giving page at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Dicks2ndJNLC

Greendale Bridge with Joss


No comments:

Post a Comment