Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Friday 1 February 2019

Rosie Law (W65) - 10 June 2018

I chose to start at 10pm on Saturday June 9th but the journey really started seven months earlier when I decided to give it a go.

I reckoned walking it fast would be enough to make the 24hr time limit but I wasn’t at all sure I could keep up the speed on the steep ascents and descents. There followed several months of hill and distance training and recces of the route, alone and in a small group, going out in all weathers, always including as much ascent as possible and walking as fast as I could. The group’s encouragement was constant, and their willingness to go out in rain, wind, hail, snow, storm and even occasional sunshine through the months from November to June was astonishing! Mostly the weather was very bad but then in early summer a drought set in so that the route was very dry and bog-free for my attempt - very lucky!

Moments I remember :- in the pitch dark on the summit of High Street, very inconsiderately and not thinking of the sleeping occupants, shining our dazzling head torches on a little tent and saying loudly (several times) “ooh look there's a tent” - I hope we didn’t wake them up but we probably did. Sunrise on the way up Red Screes. The ascent of Bowfell. my family and friends all at Styhead. Seatallan - I’ve always liked the climb up Seatallan for some unaccountable reason.

My road/Styhead support was wonderful, my family made sure they could be there despite living far away and having busy lives and either walked with me or did the logistics. I had a brilliant team of pacers and helpers, they kept me going, carried more food and water than I needed just in case, they found all the routes we’d recced and some we hadn’t, they paced me up the hills and always seemed to say the right thing at the right time to keep me feeling positive.

I’m sure everyone says it but I’ll say it again, I owe my success to them, I couldn’t possibly have done it without them.
















No comments:

Post a Comment