Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Thursday 7 February 2019

Hazel Tayler (W60) - 24 June 18

I completed my Joss Naylor Challenge on Sunday 24th June in 17 hrs 30 mins.  I turned 60 in April which gave me 18 hours to complete the distance.  This was a leap into the unknown for me having previously only run races up to 26 miles.

I set off at 4 am from Poole Bridge on a perfect morning.  My two companions were Harvey Lord and Simon Austin.  The sun was just rising over the morning mist and it promised to be a beautiful day. 

My best memories of leg one were the beautiful views high above Ullswater and the sun shining through miles of cotton grass across the fells.  We were also lucky enough to see deer bounding across the hillside near High Street.  I made the schedule easily on this leg but tried hard not get carried away - there was a long way to go.  I was 8 minutes up on schedule at Kirkstone where my husband Pete was waiting with the support team and breakfast!  It was also great to see John Millen who had cycled up the Struggle to support me at 8 o’clock in the morning at Kirkstone.

(photo: Tim Ripper)


I was joined on leg 2 by Sue Ross, Chris Roberts, James Goffe, Anna Lupton and Mark Roberts.  Sue led me rather briskly up Red Screes but we settled down after that!  Mark Roberts lead a brilliant line up to Hart Crag and we were soon over Fairfield, looking down onto Grizedale Tarn.  This was my favourite view on this leg.  The tarn looked impossibly blue and still under bright blue clear skies - and someone was swimming.  I was rather envious! 

I was still slightly ahead of schedule at this stage so I climbed and descended Seat Sandal easily to avoid working my legs too hard before Steel Fell!

I set off from Dunmail Raise 15 minutes ahead of schedule feeling comfortable.  My new pacers included my husband Pete Tayler, Jess Lawrence and Josh Hartley, Holly Orr, Simon Austin (up to High Raise) and Polly the dog!  I took a steady pace up Steel Fell.  It was soon behind me and I made up 2 minutes against the schedule.  However, the next leg up to High Raise proved to be much harder work over tussocks and trackless terrain.  I had to keep focused on a good urgent pace over this 65-minute section.  I was on time for this section which I believe is absolutely crucial to success on leg three.  Perhaps the next most crucial point is the climb up Bowfell.  By now the day was pretty hot, although there was a pleasant breeze.  The big fear is dehydration of course but my team did an excellent job of keeping up my fluids, electrolytes and food.  The climb up Bowfell went well and I actually enjoyed it, particularly the views of The Great Slabs.  We continued on over now very rocky ground to Sty Head with Pete leading an excellent descent down a stony gulley from Great End!  It was here that we were met by James Harris who stayed with me until the end, keeping up my spirits with lots of chat which was much appreciated.

Many thanks also to Helen Walker and Simon Rodger for a great break at Sty Head.  I feel so fortunate to have had excellent road support from Helen and Simon as well as Pete Tayler.

At Sty Head, I was still in good shape and ahead of schedule, however muscles around my left knee were causing me pain on the descents. I took some pain killers and set off up Gable, still climbing strongly.

Leg 4 is perhaps my favourite leg with views of the mighty Gable, the airy paths up to Pillar and the rocky outcrop of Steeple, all bathed in low sunny evening light.  I was pleased to have Tim Ripper as my lead pacer on this leg as he knows the area so well. I also had the company of Will Ross, Simon Rodger, James Harris, Julian Donnelly, Kath Gill and Pete Tayler (the last 3 up to Kirk Fell), plus the dogs Pip and Mae. Steve Wathall came up to Beck Head to wish me luck which was very welcome. Tim lead a great line off Kirk Fell avoiding the usual gully and also a good grassy line leftwards off Haycock.  We also managed to avoid most of the rocky scree leading to Steeple by taking a pleasant, scrambly right hand line across the rib to the summit.  One of my favourite moments was crossing the wall en route to Haycock from Steeple.  I was preparing to climb a stile, however, Tim opened a gate 50 meters further on which I hadn’t known was there!  What a gent! 
(photo: Simon Austin)

From Haycock I really struggled with the downhills because of my painful knee.  Climbing and level ground were great, fortunately.  So, I climbed fairly hard and allowed myself more time on the descents to even out the pace.  From Haycock to the finish I lost about 30 minutes but at that point I was already 30 minutes up on schedule so, fortunately, there was no doubt that I would finish on time.

(photo: Pete Tayler)

(photo: Pete Tayler)


It is worth mentioning that the climbs up Seatallan and Middle Fell were magic, with the hills bathed in the golden light of sunset and a full moon. Pete was there to meet me on Middle Fell which was indeed a welcome sight.  Yes, Seatallan was a tough climb but it was soon done and the last fell top, Middle Fell was easily achieved.  I cane down to Greendale Bridge as fast as my knees allowed which was very slowly!  This didn’t matter though in the context of an incredible, life-changing day out on the fells with my husband and many great friends.  Thanks to Charmian Heaton and Steve Wathall for bringing Joss to Greendale Bridge and then to the pub for a celebratory drink.    I was also extremely pleased to raise more than £800 for the Alzheimer’s Society.

Hazel Tayler
Black Combe Runners

No comments:

Post a Comment