Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Sunday 9 January 2022

Rae Pritchard (M55) - 27 August 2021

 Sixteen years after finishing the Bob Graham round and vowing never to do anything like that again I find myself standing at 5am on Pooley Bridge. A combination of events in the last two years including a fractured pelvis and covid chaos meant all my travel and mountaineering plans had gone west. With a birthday looming the JNC @55 seemed a good focus so the die was cast. Although not a runner I had been acquainted with JNC in the past. I supported fellow RC members Paul Murray and John Richardson years ago on their rounds and once the Rucksack Club did the entire round as a day walk Meet with Andy Howie, a very long day's walk if a remember correctly.

No sooner had we set off and there was a quick pit stop at the park foot campsite toilets probably caused by nervous tummy! Climbing to Arthur's Pike with my support man Mike the daylight started emerging and my worries over navigating this section began to subside. The mist was swirling around but we stayed on course and despite the unscheduled stop earlier began to gain a bit of time on the schedule. At Kirkstone pass Helen my wife and our collie dog Pip took over support, as we descended Fairfield the last of the mist finally evaporated away leaving a beautifully sunny late summers day. Down to Dunmail having picked up a bit more time and once again Mike took over support. The killer climb up Steel Fell was now hot work in the blazing sun but all was going well Mike constantly producing food and drink from his rucksack and nudging me along. The climb up Bowfell seemed particularly hard work to me but Mike confirmed we hadn't lost any time. I thought I was starting to hallucinate at Esk Hause as a man wearing nothing apart from a rucksack and shoes appeared.  Is this the famous naked rambler we wondered! Many schoolboy discussions ensued about sunburn to certain parts etc.. this passed the time before the crashing descend down Great end to Sty Head pass.





Here Helen had brought up supplies and after a very quick rice pudding stop myself and Mike now accompanied by Paul and his very bouncy vizsla dog called, appropriately enough Joss, started the slog up great gable. The next leg went very well with two friends and two doggies in tow and a comfortable time cushion I felt as relaxed as you can on this sort of thing. I remember from the reccies the climb up Seatallan been hard work and so it proved to be but once out of the way we trundled along and down to the conclusion at a sunny Greendale Bridge. 





I was very pleased to see the Bridge and the great man himself was there to meet us. After a handshake with Joss we all had a good chat about the route and dogs and life in general. Pauline and Ian Charters had also come along to welcome us back.





I quick look at the times suggested I had gained on the schedule on the climbs rather than the flatter runny bits which is why I'm not a runner! Also, I didn't really stop at any cross over points. 13 hours 50 mins, how anyone does it in under 12 hours is beyond me!

A great day out in Lakeland on a varied and interesting line, thanks to Joss, lan and Pauline to welcome me in was great to see everyone. Many thanks also to my support Paul and especially Helen and Mike without who's huge efforts this whole enterprise would not have been possible. I'm sure after this experience all three of them will be doing the JNLC in the years to come. 


Schedule as published start 5am. finish 6.50pm.

Running Support 

Leg 1 Mike Zeidan Rucksack Club

Leg 2 Helen Pritchard RC

Leg 3 Mike Zeidan RC

Leg 4 Mike Zeidan RC & Paul Slone

Road Support 

Helen Pritchard RC

No comments:

Post a Comment