Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Thursday 10 December 2020

Stuart Stoddart (M50) - 06 August 2020

I’d first planned on attempting the JNC two years ago on my 50th birthday but three weeks before the attempt I had to postpone due to getting injured.

Two years later and after a good training block that included numerous Ullswater Ways, a Ullswater Round and all the Lakeland 3000s I set a date to attempt the JNC once again. The lockdown certainly helped my preparation but I had to wait till Joss and Ian Charters would allow runners to attempt the challenge again as it had been forbidden during the lockdown period. Finally word came out that the challenge was allowed once more but no more than two pacers per leg, no hill support from friends and family and no welcome from Joss at the end. I was fine with all the requirements and totally understood why.

My good running mate Craig Smith had been thinking about his own JNC for a while now and he too decided that he would make an attempt on the same day as well; it meant that we could share pacers and road support.

The morning of the attempt arrived and as we met our pacers in Pooley Bridge we could feel the heat and humidity rising. Leg 1 is all fairly runnable and you could easily get carried away. Instead we ran at a steady pace but marched the steeper climbs. Our Support on Legs 1&2 were the Eden lads (Jack, Scott and Wayne) and they made sure we were eating and drinking. The underfoot conditions were wet and that coupled with the heat made it all bit energy sapping. By the time we had arrived at Stoney Cove Pike we were in thick mist which made the finding of Pike Howe a bit trickier but Jack had ran ahead a bit and found the line to it without us stressing too much. All that was left to do was pick our way down to the support vehicle at Kirkstone where Simon was waiting with fresh water.

After a couple of minutes of filling our bottles we were climbing Red Screes and the humidity was increasing. Craig only likes the heat if he’s on holiday and I could tell he was struggling a bit on the climb but hoped once we got up high the temperature might drop and he would pick up a bit.

On our way to Hart Crag, Craig decided the heat was too much and told me to carry on without him. I was absolutely gutted for him and tried to get him to change his mind but he was adamant he was going to stop at Dunmail. Scott, Jack and myself left Wayne with Craig and we ran on ahead and we were soon dropping into Dunmail. Craig arrived shortly after and wished me luck for the remainder of the day.

Leg 3 was all Craig’s pacers and I’m glad he chose Richard, James and Brian, for they made the crossing to Styhead Tarn very enjoyable. Ironically, we now had cloud cover but the humidity was still high. The ground on this leg was still very boggy in places and James kept overtaking me on his back side on the descents which amused me greatly. Brian was doing the Nav’ whilst Rich and James made sure I was eating and drinking. I was amazed when Brian revealed he was 65 – I hope I’m running as well at him at 65. Great End was eventually reached and after a horrible bit of descending I was at the Stretcher Box at Styhead.

By this point I was spent, and with only 4 hours left to finish I was beginning to doubt I would beat the 12 hour time limit. My pacers for Leg 4 really got the short straw. I doubt I would’ve finished but for Lee finding the best line on the front and Mark always just a step behind me who was constantly passing me water, sweets and endlessly encouraging me. I was still climbing well and once off Gable Lee made sure I ran all the flats and all the slopes. The clag had set in now and it even started to rain whilst climbing Pillar. My worst moment was on the climb to Seatallan, but again the lads somehow coaxed me up to the summit. Before long we were Descending Middle Fell and I was pleased to see Craig standing with Simon on the Bridge. Thanks to Lee and Mark’s great support we did Leg 4 in 3hr 27mins and touched Greendale Bridge 11 hours and 35 minutes after leaving Pooley Bridge.

It would not have been possible without the help of all my support crew who gave up their day so I could have mine. Thanks lads.







No comments:

Post a Comment