Introduction

The Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge route leaves Pooley Bridge to traverse 30 summits over a distance of 48 miles and climbs 16,000 feet (77km, 4877m).

The inaugural run from Pooley Bridge to Wasdale was made by Joss Naylor in 1990, at the age of 54; in very bad weather with heavy rain and a strong SW wind Joss completed the run to Greendale Bridge in 11 hours and 30 minutes.

Chris Brasher offered engraved pewter tankards to the first 20 runners to do so with the proviso that they raised at least £100 for a charity of their own choice. In January 1997, with 17 tankards already awarded, Chris extended his sponsorship. In 2001, with 33 tankards awarded, Joss secured on-going sponsorship for the tankards.

The challenge is offered to fell runners over the age of 50 to complete the run in set times according to their age group. The challenge is intended to be a "supported run" for individuals - each contender is to be accompanied on every leg for safety reasons and unaccompanied attempts will not be recognised. There is more information on the Challenge Details page below.

If you are interested, please have a look at the Challenge Details, download a schedule or contact me using the email address on the Challenge Details page.

Wednesday 4 February 2015

Peter McNulty (M55) – 31 May 2014

 

May 2011 a cold sad figure is helped up off the floor at Greendale after failing on the
Challenge. A runners rather than mountaineers decision to delay putting on warmer clothing
meant the onset of hypothermia and with only one hour left when standing on Haycock the
attempt ground to a halt.
 
Fast forward to May 2014 and after starting the year from scratch following an ankle injury,
I am again standing on Pooley Bridge with my supporters Mick Bull and Peter Potter waiting
for Sheila to wave me off on another attempt.

The weather conditions were perfect and Mick had been asked not to let me go off too fast
and he managed the pacing perfectly with him and Peter delivering me to Kirkstone a few
minutes up on schedule. When Mick completed the Challenge I arranged for wild horses
below Loadpot Hill and a herd of deer on Kidsty Pike and I expected the same. Unfortunately
all he could provide was a solitary deer on Rampsgill Head.

Sheila was all prepared for me at Kirkstone along with my Leg 2 support Carol + George
Critchley, Brummy John (Mayall) and Mark Walker. After a brief stop my hill support took
me off up Red Screes and kept me fed and hydrated to Dunmail. The leg passed without a
hitch and as we dropped off Seat Sandal I could see the gathering at the side of the road.
There was Monica Shone and Mike Langrish undertaking “meet and greet” duties. Sheila,
with my food, Leg 3 hill team of Gerry Dewhurst , Dave Garner together with Wendy Dodds,
an unexpected but welcome supporter. Also making a first appearance were Michelle Fuller
and Derek Dewhurst before driving to Wasdale and meeting me at Sty Head.

 

Peters Joss 130a

I always feel that the challenge starts at Dunmail with the pull up Steel Fell, and long drags
to High Raise and Rossett Pike but this time everything clicked into place, hills were ticked
off on schedule and the team ensured that I kept eating and drinking. Gerry then organised a
game of who can keep a fruit sweet in their mouth the longest that was won by Wendy.
Time seemed to fly by and we were soon dropping to Sty Head where Sheila was again,
this time again accompanied by Derek and Carol Makin. Rachael Stoney who had been hill
support on my previous attempt had also come up with Mike + Bethan Kelly to offer their
encouragement.

 

Peters Joss 100

Gerry and Dave were continuing along the final leg with me and we were joined by Linda
Lord, Michelle Fuller, Steve Foster together with Jem and Dexter the Patterdales. Things
continued to go smoothly and even the never ending grind up Pillar went to schedule.
Gerry arranged another round of keeping a sweet in the mouth while Dexter provided some
entertainment by “grounding” himself on a boulder ascending Scoat Fell.
Seatallan was reached exactly on schedule and I saw no reason to rush to the finish.

My aim had been to have a day in the hills enjoyed by me with a group of friends and that is exactly
what happened. The handshake off Joss at Greendale is the icing on the cake.

 

Peters Joss 031Sheila, Joss and Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment